The majority of the real shipwrecks off the Sydney coastline are colliers that were lost while engaged in the coal trade from the southern and northern coalfields to Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour ). The wreck of the SS Annie M. Miller is no exception. The Annie M. Miller was built for R. W. Miller and Co in 1928 by the Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering CompaNew york Limited in Port Glasgow, Scotland. As was typical for one of R. W. Miller's ships, the new vessel was named after one of Miller's daughters. It was a typical coastal collier, displacing 707 tons with a length of 48 metres and beam of 9 metres (about the same size as the SS Tuggerah but as a wreck it appears to be considerably smaller ). The new vessel was powered by a 96 rhp triple expansion steam engine (also built by Clyde ), with the steam coming from a single boiler. Although built for use as a collier, she was primarily used to carry blue metal from Shellharbour (Bass Point ) to Sydney. In fact, the Miller only carried coal as a cargo three times in her short career, one of which was to be her last voyage.