In about 1917 or 1918 an Aberdare class minesweeper, HMS Wexford, was built by Simons in the UK for the Royal Navy. She had a displacement of 800 tons, a length of 231 feet (70.4 m ), a width of 28.5 feet (8.68 m ) and a speed of 16 knots The new ship served with the Royal Navy for the remainder of the First World War and perhaps a bit after. In 1921 representatives of the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Co. Ltd travelled to Montrose in the UK to look at surplus and paid off vessels. They selected HMS Wexford and in December 1921 it was sold to the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Co. Ltd and brought to Australia. In Brisbane, it was overhauled and made capable of carrying 1,524 passengers and renamed Doomba. Its new role was as an excursion boat to Stradboke Island across Moreton Bay. The compaNew york also used another ship. In 1923 the ownership changed to the Doomba Shipping CompaNew york. This may have been the same compaNew york and just a change of name but from other information it might also have been a totally separate compaNew york. It continued to be used in the same role as a day trip boat across Moreton Bay.