The George A. Marsh was a three masted schooner used in the lumber trade until it was sold to Mr. J.B. Fint from Belleville, Ontario in 1914. Then, captain John Wesley Smith commanded her to carry coal for almost three years. She sank during a summer gale, when she was sailing on the Lake Ontario with a cargo of coal destined to the Rockwood Hospital. She became the coffin of 12 out of the 14 unfortunate persons aboard. Most of the victims were children between one and thirteen years old. Their mother died too. The only survivors are the captain\'s brother and the deck hand.