The A.E. Vickory was a wooden three masted schooner built in 1861 and launched in July of the same year. She saild under the name of "J.B. Penfield" at Three Mile Bay, New york. She was renamed to A.E. Vickory in February 25th, 1884.The ship struck a rock while sailing near the American Narrows with 21,000 bushels of wheat on board. The shipment was destined to the Wisers Distillery in Prescott, Ontario. One story tells us that the night of the catastrophe, the captain Mr. John Massey was fearing the narrows and requested the pilot Mr. Henry Webber Jr. to sail the boat. At 10:15PM, the A.E. Vickory struck a rock and was quickly taking water. The captain dashed to his cabin and came back with a pistol to get an explanation from Mr. Webber about this accident. Fortunately, one of the crew member (also the captain's brother), knocked the pistol overboard. The crew abandoned ship and found refuge in the nearby lighthouse near Rock Island. She finally disappeared below the surface at 2:00AM.